Steam In-Home Streaming

Steam In-Home Streaming

Postby [iM]Mallorn » 22 May 2014 11:54

This has just left Beta:
http://store.steampowered.com/streaming

In short:
You can play games installed on your gaming pc on any device supported on the same network. (supported: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and SteamOS)
Is streams the game to your device with little latency so it seems.
+ Game anywhere in your house without moving your gaming rig
+ Play high demanding games on your dated pc or laptop
+ No need to install your games on different devices

For me this would be awesome.
My gaming rig is at the attic, while I can take my laptop anywhere I want, even into the garden. I can crank up the volume without waking the kids or wife late in the evening or at night (and I dont need to use a headset which means I cant hear the kids in case they need attention).
I should be able to play high demanding games like Assassins Creed IV on my laptop.
I see a lot of potential.

I'm gonna check it out this evening and will leave my findings here. I'll try a variety of games that are installed on my gaming pc and see how they perfom on my wireless 3 months old laptop.
[iM]Mallorn
Immortal (Recruiter)

National Flag:
Netherlands

Re: Steam In-Home Streaming

Postby [iM]YULyeong » 23 May 2014 02:54

please a good review would be much liked by myself as i would like to have it set up so my girlfriends laptop can play some great games with out having to use my laptop (she hates the size of my laptop and is always worried she will break it lol)
[iM]YULyeong
Immortal

National Flag:
Falkland Islands

Postby [iM]Mokum » 23 May 2014 06:21

That`s pretty interesting, chilling out in the garden while playing games.... really cool, love to hear more!
I`m not arrogant, I`m just better.
[iM]Mokum
Immortal (TeamSpeak Admin)

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby [iM]Mallorn » 23 May 2014 08:26

I testdrived it yesterday.

The only way this will be of any use for me is when I can use wifi on my wireless laptop. So thats how I tested it: Gaming PC -> Router -> Laptop. My gaming pc is ofcourse wired.

First you need to be logged into Steam on both devices.
All games installed on you host appear in your library. Normally you click the "play" button to start it, but when it's installed on the host you see a "streaming" button. So all good until now, I had no problem connecting the 2 devices.

I started testing the game I wanted to play on my laptop the most: Assassins Creed IV. High demanding games on a low spec device is what they advertise. Game started, looking good, the first animations popped up, still looking good. Then I got a "slow connection" warning at the bottom of my screen, ofcourse thats because I'm playing wireless. I continued from my last saving point but it was barely playable... too much lag and jerky movement.
So test 1 failed.

After that I tried another game: Bound By Flame. Action RPG, no Skyrim but fun nevertheless.
It worked well, surprisingly. Less eyecandy and fps probably results in less data to be sent.

I checked some more games: Brothers A Tale of Two Sons, Betrayer and Transistor.
All played fine.

I'm gonna test ACIV again this evening, wired, so see if its really latency.

Overall its a neat feature imo. Dont expect the same quality you get from the host. It's streaming, so you always have some quality loss in your visuals and sound. Not that much though.

--------------------------------------
YULyeong, you dont need to setup anything. You just need to have both devices running on the same network and you need to instal Steam.
[iM]Mallorn
Immortal (Recruiter)

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby [iM]YULyeong » 24 May 2014 05:59

cheers Mallorn I will give it a whirl today and let you guys know how it pans out :danku
[iM]YULyeong
Immortal

National Flag:
Falkland Islands

Return to Soft & Hardware